Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Drosophila model of complex I dysfunction-type mitochondrial disease

Burman JL, Itsara LS, Kayser EB, Suthammarak W, Wang AM, Kaeberlein M, Sedensky MM, Morgan PG, Pallanck LJ. A Drosophila model of mitochondrial disease caused by a complex I mutation that uncouples proton pumping from electron transfer. Dis Model Mech. 2014 PMID: 25085991.

From the abstract: "Mutations affecting mitochondrial complex I, a multi-subunit assembly that couples electron transfer to proton pumping, are the most frequent cause of heritable mitochondrial diseases. However, the mechanisms by which complex I dysfunction results in disease remain unclear. Here, we describe a Drosophila model of complex I deficiency caused by a homoplasmic mutation in the mitochondrial-encoded NADH dehydrogenase subunit 2 (ND2) gene. ... our findings support the model that diminished respiratory chain activity, and consequent energy deficiency, are responsible for the pathogenesis of complex I-associated neurodegeneration."

No comments:

Post a Comment